The greatest set of Rainer photographs.....ever.
Being an adequate parent is all about playing the percentages.
For instance: 98% of parenting is a breeze---your kid smiles and laughs and looks to you for everything and every glance, stare, noise and movement is a new and astounding feat.
1% is beyond interpretation or telling; the kinds of things you can't describe to anyone else and shouldn't try, the moments of a weird sort of beyond-this, the times when you think to yourself, holy crap, I produced this person who is so perfect I can't even mention it to others or they'll think I've gone batty or they'll tell me to write a book about it that no one would read, because reading about other people's kids is way less interesting than seeing a few photographs a few times a week. Right?
And then there's the 1% where the kid is screaming and can't be reasoned with and you just sort of throw up your hands and say, "What is this exactly, that I've gotten myself into?" Here, in real time, are pictures that represent each of those percentages. Every time I see this series of photographs, I laugh hysterically. You need only know that these photos were taken while Rainer was eating a dinner of cottage cheese and squash, and while he now loves squash, he was not a fan of squash mixed with, as my old man affectionately calls it, "curded f'n milk:"

Look, I said I didn't like cottage cheese, okay? Just let me have bananas!
Bananas!
I'm okay.
For instance: 98% of parenting is a breeze---your kid smiles and laughs and looks to you for everything and every glance, stare, noise and movement is a new and astounding feat.
1% is beyond interpretation or telling; the kinds of things you can't describe to anyone else and shouldn't try, the moments of a weird sort of beyond-this, the times when you think to yourself, holy crap, I produced this person who is so perfect I can't even mention it to others or they'll think I've gone batty or they'll tell me to write a book about it that no one would read, because reading about other people's kids is way less interesting than seeing a few photographs a few times a week. Right?
And then there's the 1% where the kid is screaming and can't be reasoned with and you just sort of throw up your hands and say, "What is this exactly, that I've gotten myself into?" Here, in real time, are pictures that represent each of those percentages. Every time I see this series of photographs, I laugh hysterically. You need only know that these photos were taken while Rainer was eating a dinner of cottage cheese and squash, and while he now loves squash, he was not a fan of squash mixed with, as my old man affectionately calls it, "curded f'n milk:"

Look, I said I didn't like cottage cheese, okay? Just let me have bananas!
Bananas!
I'm okay.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home